I have regularly been asked by people how they can make their very own chocolate truffles at home using easily accessible ingredients. So I have put together a few recipe ideas for you to try at home for perfect after dinner chocolates that I can guarantee will impress your dinner guests!
All of the chocolate I refer to in the recipes is regularly used by us in the creation of our truffles but you can buy a good quality alternative milk or dark chocolate from a supermarket.
Chocolate Truffles dipped in chocolate flakes
Ingredients required to make approx 8 large chocolates:
75g good quality chocolate drops or pieces to make the truffles (I used our 60% Mexique Dark chocolate drops. The 40.5% Ghana is a fabulous alternative if you would prefer Milk chocolate).
75g whipping cream
Chocolate flakes (to roll the chocolates in)
200g good quality chocolate to temper and use to dip the truffles in – I used our Dark Belgian Chocolate drops which contain a min of 58% cocoa solids.
- Boil the cream and allow it to cool to 80 degrees.
- Pour the cream over the 75g chocolate drops or pieces and allow it to soak into the chocolate for a few moments before stirring well to achieve a smooth paste, ensuring all of the chocolate drops or pieces have melted. (If some chocolate drops or pieces remain, place all of the contents in the microwave for 10 seconds at a time and stir well).
- Cover the chocolate and cream mixture with clingfilm and leave in a cool area overnight to set.
- The next day roll the slightly hardened mixture into the required size balls and place onto greaseproof paper.
- In preparation of dipping and rolling the truffles place some flaked/grated chocolate pieces into a bowl/rimmed plate.
How to temper chocolate
- Place the 200g of chocolate drops in a microwaveable bowl.
- Place on full power for 30 seconds and then remove from the microwave and stir well.
- Put it back into the microwave and microwave for 20 second blasts. Keep removing and stirring after each blast.
- When the chocolate starts to melt it will melt very quickly and it can overheat. Therefore it is important to only heat the chocolate drops for these small amounts of time.
- When the chocolate has all melted it is ready for you to hand dip your truffles. Take each individual chocolate truffle and place it into the melted chocolate. Cover it with melted chocolate and then place a fork underneath the chocolate truffle and lift it and place it into the bowl containing the flaked chocolate pieces. Cover the whole of the truffle with the flaked chocolate. Gently lift the coated truffle and place it onto greaseproof paper and allow it to set. Repeat the process until all of the truffles are dipped in tempered chocolate and rolled in flaked chocolate.
- As an alternative to rolling each truffle in flaked chocolate you could roll them in crushed hazelnuts.